12 April, 2007

Open Letter of Admiration to Don Imus

It was a blast while it lasted. You entertained me for the last 14 years beginning with my first job when living back in Portage. I used to laugh so hard on my way to work in the morning. The bantering between all the funny guys and Bernard McGuirk was just awesome. My favorite thing was Bernard doing the Cardinal O' Connor impressions. Actually in those stressful days teaching at Vicksburg schools, you were the best part of my day.


Notably, the hardest I ever laughed while listening to your show came back around 1999 while living in Detroit. I had to pull my car off the freeway on I-275 because I was laughing hysterically. It was an exchange between you and Bernard and you called him a "bald headed Nazi". I can't remember exactly what the conversation was about, but when you called him that - I just lost it. Those were such fun days.


The other "funniest" moment that I will never forget was when Charles McCord went byzerk when you couldn't stop talking about some Neville Chamberlain book. Charles, being the "straight man" always had a way to surprise me by jumping out of character to mock you. It was always clear by your response how much you love and respect that man. Your loyalty to Charles was obvious and admirable.


Your ideology has always been different than mine in your expressed politics, but that didn't matter because you were entertaining. You pulled no crap with anybody. I especially loved your cynicism against all pretentious people everywhere. Any thinking person had to agree with your intolerance of pretense- which I have always appreciated.


One of the highlights of living in Metro Detroit in the late 90's was going to see you at the Southfield Theater when you came and did a radio appearance with WXYT 1270 AM which later became an all sports station (much to my chagrin).


You inspired me to have a better appreciation of classic country music, which I had not been exposed to previously. I also enjoyed the deep insights of guests you had on often like the God Squad and all the smart historians.


You also coined several phrases which I have used on occasion, all to your credit, such as: "this can't suck enough" and the words "hideous" and "weasle"- usually when referring to obnoxious politicians or bad musicians.


You have always had me as a fan CONTINUE to.


Your recent comments did not offend me in the slightest. It was a normal "rap" between you and Bernard which made the show so entertaining. Sure, when one parses every word slowly and disconnects it from context it may sound crude- but I knew it was just jive and has NOTHING to do with the way you really are on the race issue. It was cutting edge comedy - nowhere NEAR the racism and banter heard on the Chappelle Show.


All these pantie-wearing media types mainly Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and all the other irrelevant wannabees are just out to get you for their own gain. It is wrong and I won't buy their crap. Harold Ford, Jr. is a backstabbing weasle and I hope you call him out.

What this all boils down to is just a few things.
  1. Our feminized culture does NOT have a sense of humor
  2. There are too many people out there just waiting to be offended

The only distressing thing I am observing now is watching you melt like a salted leech.

Fight the politically correct Gestapo.

Buck up and maybe you will be back on the air in some form soon.

Siriusly.

No comments: