04 August, 2004

Otsego County Prosecuting Attorney Election 2004

Results:

Kyle Legel 3,111 53%
Kevin Hesselink 2,100 36%
Mike Rola 624 11%


I’ve heard it done in other times and other places-- voting someone into office by voting out another. But this was my time and place. My opportunity to make the right vote at the right time, but still it wasn’t enough. I even went beyond my normal civic involvement and actually attended a public forum to hear out all three candidates for prosecuting attorney. And the decision was oh, so obvious. But it wasn’t enough.

While I sat at the Township hall and listened to their qualifications, track record and vision there was one candidate that clearly stood above the rest.

Of the three candidates, Legel was my choice to share a cigar on the golf course, but not for prosecutor. He was oh so green. But maybe that’s just me – I’m 35 and he’s 31. Maybe I’m just getting old. But his demeanor was oozing of inexperience a puppy dropped into the middle of a big lake. He was just trying to make it out without looking bad. It was slightly painful.

My only comment on Mike Rola is that upon listening too his snappy rhetorts, I have determined that I would rather be covered with angry African stinging bees getting a root canal with a spoon, then to watch this guy engaged.

But over six hundred successful prosecutions (and less than 5 unsuccessful ones) had no bearing on a successful verdict for Mr. Hesselink. It was determined on two, JUST TWO unpopular decisions and a funding issue which I do not completely understand. But that was enough for him to get railroaded by a motivated electorate who are propelled by their feelings instead of the law.

This is precisely why I have come to respect Kevin Hesselink so much. He can really unemotionally follow the law. What a concept! No emotional appeals, no slick Willy, no politics – just a darn good prosecutor.

What ever happened to changing the law, instead of changing a good prosecutor? If Otsego County is unhappy with the laws on the books (the ones Hesselink is enforcing) then CHANGE THE LAWS -- or the people making those laws. Upholding an oath is not always easy, especially in the public spotlight. But Kevin Hesselink has done so quite nobly.

Lord knows I have made my share of mistakes in my job, but I am fortunate enough to not be under a microscope or beg for my job every four years. Having observing Kevin Hesselink for the past three years, I have come to know that he is very thoughtful, smart and studied. Not a gregarious or talkative person by any stretch, but always polite and decent.

Kyle Legel is clearly a decent man and I hope that he is successful here. Let it be clear though that he was elected not on his own virtue and experience, but because people wanted Hesselink out. It was a negative vote for Kyle Legel.

I would have hated to be a bad guy facing Hesselink, but now Otsego county looks a little easier to mould. Deep down, I’m not optimistic on law and justice in this county for the next four years.

Maybe Kyle Legel can prove me wrong and I hope he does.

Mark Douglas
Gaylord, MI

No comments: