07 April, 2006

Response to comment on my former post - "Half True Praise Songs"

I received a very thoughtful comment on my previous post that I felt I should respond to and post here. I really appreciate being challenged on this topic and really enjoy the discussion. I also know that while my opinion are not always popular, I do think that iron sharpens iron and that I can learn from others views. As mentioned, my particular views on this subject are in the context of CORPORATE WORSHIP through song and somewhat reflected in the book mentioned by Nick Page.


(commentor says.....)

Regarding your "Half True Praise Songs" piece: You mentioned "shallow biblical truth" several times. I'd like to know: Which attributes of God do you consider to be "shallow"?

No biblical truth or attribute of God is shallow! Nor can we make it shallow by repetition. It can only become shallow or boring in our own minds. God's Word tells us to meditate day and night on His words, to ponder them, to think about them when we wake up, when we go to sleep...Doesn't he know that His truth will become shallow or boring to us if we do this though? See, the issue is the spirit with which we take in the truths of God. That will determine whether truth becomes boring and shallow or deep and sweet in our hearts.

There are no shallow attributes of God. In that sentence I could have used more precise language to say that there are some Biblical truths that are shallow in the context of a praise song when it comes to living the Christian life. I should have better written that sentence.

For instance, in Leviticus 3:17 it says “You must not eat any fat or any blood.” If we repeated that Biblical truth in a praise song – it would be shallow to living Christian life. If I were to sing a song with those words, they would have absolutely no meaning to me in living the Christian life. Repeating them would not help.

Unless, God made it a point that eating fat or blood was a spiritual issue and relevant to worship, then it would not have relevance for spiritual growth.

Maybe we could agree that your statement is "half true". :-)

I believe my statement is TOTALLY true. Unless, you are legalistic and abstinence of fat and blood – (i.e. steak) is a benefit to your Godliness. I’m sure I could find many more statements in the Bible that, while inspired and inerrant, would do very little or nothing for my spiritual life sung repeatedly in a praise song.

Secondly, I feel your pain in being "forced" to sing songs you don't like in church. But have you ever wondered what makes God upset about our worship?

I would suspect that God is upset about songs sung about Him in church that are not sincere worship. I also think that God hates being mocked (Galatians 6:7) and so songs sung with poorly constructed words and shoddy poetry make a mockery of our worship. Music just doesn’t fall out of our mouths in abstract ramblings on Sunday morning to find a cohesive organized sound for God almighty. There are musical forms that we as a culture have adopted to allow for the Holy Spirit to work as a church body.

Your idea that “as long as it is from the heart – it’s OK” philosophy is fine for singular worship, but does nothing for the church body (congregation) praising God with one voice.

I agree that some songs are poorly written. When they come on the radio, I turn the radio off. Can't do that in church, so I sing along. I focus on the truths of the song, and I worship. I think God probably chuckles often at our feeble attempts to express our love for Him through music poetry, dance, whatever... I don't think God ever chuckles though, at a spirit of cynicism or deriding the heartfelt worship of others. (Check out how God punished David's wife, Mical, for citicizing his worship!)

Again-you are not getting the point. The cynicism and criticism is not towards the “heartfelt worship of others” – it is of the poor way that some artists construct and some worship leaders execute praise and worship songs. The criticism is not of the person worshipping.

I’m sure that you could use a metal pot, some pans and begin screaming at the top of your lungs, some Biblical truth – and SOMEONE in the congregation can worship to that! But, a congregational whole in a blended church in 2006 cannot worship to that.

OK- let’s go where the rubber meets the road. A few Sundays ago. I know some wonderful and Godly people in the church who were totally worshipping God with music where cues were missed, slides were not being shown on the right verses and most people in the church had no idea how to sing many of the melodic intervals in the song. While they had no problem getting into it, many people did (all I had to do was look around). The dysfunction of the singing service led to a poor worship experience because I could not focus on the words and the spirit of the words.

So, are there many poorly written worship songs? Yes! Do they make for "bad" worship? No. As long as a song is true theologically, we can still worship in spirit and in truth. (I've sung Jesus Loves Me about a trillion times in my life...it's a song that lacks for creativity and depth, yet when I sing it with my daughter before she goes to sleep, it's pure and unadulterated worship!

Again- that is SINGULAR worship, not corporate worship. By the way, I disagree that "Jesus Loves Me" lacks creativity and depth, I think it is a deep spiritual truth that is set to music in a way that is simple and creative and is especially meaningful to kids.

So, as you suggest, does poor songwriting equate to "dumb worship"? I'll be generous and give you a "half truth" credit with the recognition that God desires our very best worship, and sometimes we offer Him only second best, and that's dumb.

Thirdly, you wrote, "I have a good friend that believes that there is no such thing as a bad praise song! He believes that if the song brings him or anyone closer to God in worship that the words simply don’t matter."

Wow, your friend sounds like he isn't very sharp, unless of course, that's not exactly what he said, making that statement at best, only "half true".

Hmm- the quote may not be word for word- but that was certainly, the spirit of what was conveyed to me. And if that spirit was conveyed, I think it is noble and understandable but misguided. I do think that corporately sung praise songs do depend on good poetry, syntax, flow, form, Biblical acuracy, meaningfulness to Christian living, cultural relatability and a broadly accepted style. And as Nick Page has so articulately written in his book, there are many poorly written praise songs. And I do agree.

Granted, this is just my opinion, and I love to get opinions and debate them in a spirit of grace and growth. But I do find that some people have a very difficult time in peacefully disagreeing or being challenged on Biblical topics. I have been wrong many times, but hopefully admitted it and been teachable.

So, maybe you should title this piece "Half True Statements About Worship" :-)

Thanks, but I will stick with the title as is. I believe that we have really dumbed down worship to God in many ways – and I, too, am guilty of letting it effect me. One thing I do pray is that I remain teachable and let myself “be wrong” – which is something I’ve had to learn to do over the years. My experience with some people, who dispense Biblical wisdom, is that they get hostile when being challenged.

Love ya, brother!

I love you,too, actually closer than a brother. Now it’s just showing it by my actions!

K




No comments: