17 April, 2006

Pay to Praise?

Keith Green led by example in his life. One of the more memorable things that he is did was his fight against the commercialization of Christian Contemporary Music (CCM). Specifically, he was distraught at CCM artists charging admission for their concerts. One artist who carries that banner today is Steve Camp. Here is his powerful opinion on charging admission for Christian concerts.

Keith Green’s method was to accept love offerings to finance his ministry. In this way, people were free to come to his concerts regardless of their ability to pay, thereby letting all who came to hear the gospel of Jesus. His example is rarely followed now except in rare circumstances.

I think money truly becomes a stumbling block with outrageous prices to "worship" concerts, namely, the ones I see advertised in our Michigan Christian concerts events magazines. Maybe some CCM artists and event promoters have become misguided in their pursuit of fame. Money really has become a distraction. We in evangelical society have come to accept the norms of secular entertainment into our “music ministries”. Where is our reliance upon God for “supplying all our needs”? Is our reliance on charging admission a way of taking God out of the process?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about churches that run themselves as businesses? Salaries, benefit packages, it pays to be a pastor if the congregation is big. Churches run like corporations, the pastor is the president and the board, the board of directors. Or so it seems to me. Multi-million dollar buildings when down the street people are living in poverty. Doesn't make sense.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I love Keith Green!
KG's music has influenced me more than anything else on the planet almost. I have listened to him for so long. He has also influenced me as a musician, to be very honest and real in my lyrics. He is the reason why I charge nothing for my albums. Actually, I'd be honored if you'd check out my music on my site. Its very, "Keithish."
Thanks for posting,
-Sean
__________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All of my music is free for download."